Rear lights.

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
milton

Rear lights.

Post by milton »

I have a 1972 F-100 and the rear lights have went out. The only lights that work are the backups. I have no rear turn lights, brake lights, flashers, or running lights.

I have checked the bulbs, fuses, sockets, and all connections.

I have been told that the turn light switch could cause this. Could this switch really cause all of this? Can I get this part at the big parts houses, or am I going to the junkyard with my steering wheel puller?

Thanks,
Milton
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Rear lights.

Post by flyboy2610 »

Welcome to the forums! :D
Do you have running lights and turn signals in the front, or is it just the rear lights that have gone out?
milton

Post by milton »

Fronts are good, except the turn signal/flashers dont blink. That would be caused by the lack of load from the rears.

Milton
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

I believe that all the lights circuits that blink and flash go through the turn signal switch - turn, brake, and flashers. All the other lights go through the light switch, except the backup lights. If the rear running lights are not working then you may have other problems other than the turn signal switch. Check the grounds, sockets, and bulbs again. Clean everything good and use dielectric grease when you put it back together. With the work involved, I would stay away from the wrecking yard for a switch. An aftermarket bolt in turn signal switch cost less than $50. If the turn cancel does not work, then the signal switch probably has seen better days and should be replaced. Another thing to consider is the fuse block, as the trucks get older, the fuse block has been known to fail.
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Yes, as far as I know you can still get those at the local parts house. Here's an NOS piece that's listed on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=50459
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!