Just this weeks repairs

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Just this weeks repairs

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

We started off this week with the p/s pump c/o and then we had to come back and put the correct pulley on it.
Thursday my son ran out of gas and I took 5 gallons to him to get home on. The next morning the fuel pump quit. I had one and he tried to put it on but that didn't work to well so Friday morning I pulled it off and reinstalled it correctly. He had pulled the p/s pump off for some reason so I decided this was a good time to c/o the horizontal oil filter adapter with a car type vertical one I had practiced my polishing on. Well there is not room for the filter to go on once its on. I just jacked up the engine, put the filter on and I will change it back next oil change. It does clear once its on by about 3/16"
This morning I didn't like how the brakes felt and I knew the right wheel cylinder had started leaking so we went to NAPA and got rear shoes, rear wheel cylinders and 3 cans of brake cleaner. That went well but it took all morning. The brakes are fine again as in all 4 will lock up if you mash hard enough in testing.
The good thing is this cured the "want to do something to it" feeling I had. :lol: Well for now any way
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: Just this weeks repairs

Post by flyboy2610 »

Sounds like you got several things accomplished! :clap:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
wolfpack

Post by wolfpack »

good job now go in the house and cool off with some tea or something cool....
The dumbest question in the world is the one you don't ask.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Update, Yes Flyboy we got several things done but now there is more. My son called me, broke down here in town so I drove over there. He had managed to get some help and push it into a corner store parking lot. I found fuel coming out the fuel bowl vent in gushes. I pulled it home and changed out the metering block to cover the power valve and the front bowl assembly with another 4150 I had. I knew these to be good. It starts up and runs great with no more gas coming out the fuel bowl vent. Now it seems to be leaking every place. I called my son to pick me up a gas pressure gauge. When that gets here I'll install it and see if this new fuel pump is putting out to much pressure.
Yes wolfpack, it's time for that something cool. Right now
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I take it you have an electric fuel pump?
They can cause no end of grief if the pressure is too high.
Personally I prefer the mechanical pumps.
Red Green

you'd better be right.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Flyboy, This is a stock oem replacement. This fuel pump is the mechanical one with the filter cartridge on it. I am going to get the pressure gauge in a few min. The parts house people tried to sell my son a compression tester when he asked for a fuel pressure gauge. Even my son knew better than that. :lol:
Last edited by CJ,s 67 F100 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

Sounds like some of the parts houses around here! :lol:
Red Green

you'd better be right.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Update, I got the fuel pressure gauge installed and had 11# of pressure.
I went back to the store and bought a fuel pressure regulator. I installed it. Set The pressure selecter at 4# and I have 4.5 pounds of pressure at the carb. After nearly 3 hours of hunting carb. leaks. I had to replace the metering block and fuel bowl off of another 4150 I had due to both not being flat, allowing leakage past the gaskets. It started fine with no leaks, I set the carb. timing, Idle and checked every thing 3 times. I back out the drive way and it just dies 4 houses away. I'll check the basics tomorrow and post the results. On a good note its raining here :lol:
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Just finished up I hope, I pulled the gas tank sending unit and looked into the tank. All clean. I disconnected the incoming fuel line to the fuel pump and used my air tank to blow out/ back flush the line to the tank gently. Reinstalled the sending unit and fuel line on the tank. Put the air line in the filler neck and sealed it with my hand, It blew gas out freely on the disconnected line to the fuel pump. This line was touching the verticle oil filter so it may have been vapor locking. I relocated it so it didn't touch any more. I moved the rubber fuel line from between the coil and head to out in front of the coil. The fuel line is 6" to 10" away from the exhaust pipe and headers all the way under the truck. It's picking up a lot of heat all the way to the fuel pump. Start out with a 103deg. fuel and I bet it was vapor locking. I had a new phenolic spacer so I replaced the one I had on it. It ran good on a test drive so we will see what happens now.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

I got it this time. The test drive didnt work out to well so I started in earily this morning. All the symtoms led me to believe I had a faulty power valve so I changed that out this morning and rejetted it from 62's up to 64's. Man it runs good again. I only read up on this about 2 hours last night but I got it this time.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

:clap: :clap:
Red Green

you'd better be right.
71 LONG BED
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 71 LONG BED »

Nice job. Now I Know who to call with carb trouble. :lol: :lol:
John Member #1549
71 F100 Sport Custom__________1967 F350 Gone, but not forgotten
Image Image Image