ok this is more of a planning commitee.

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

ok this is more of a planning commitee.

Post by rjewkes »

While i still don't have my next bumpside yet a thought I have alweays had was...

1.buy a rolling chassis minus cab and other junk, bed and front sheet all gone.

2. buy a running truck that needs TLC.(no not the learning channel).

3. drive running truck to keep it running.

4. slowly restore the rolling chassis bought in step one.

5. then build a 390 or 410-411 with a good FE C6 to go behind it or even a later model Overdrive.

6. Install engine and tranny.

7. buy a non running good sheet metal/decent sheet metal truck.

8.Pull bed and cab and fenders Work everything the way Keith has to get this thing to last another 30+ years.

9. Once all the repair work to the sheet metal and painting is done bolt down the sheet metal and install wiring and customizations get truck back on road.

budget to do this all done with 6k or less.(mostly salvagable JY parts.

then start all over agfain and sell second truck to an enthusiust.

and then start on the bird.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
tex1264

re: ok this is more of a planning commitee.

Post by tex1264 »

I still have that 71 f-250 for sale Thanks Kevin
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Sounds like a good enough plan to start with. :D
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Hey Robert.....I hate to be a party-pooper, but I gotta put in my two cents here. :( I'm DEFINITELY not trying to dissuade you into starting a truck project, but I just wanted to try to be the voice of reason and logic here. I admire your tenacity in wanting to do this, but....

I know how things are with you financially, and am questioning how in the world you'd be able to finance something like a complete frame-off job on your salary. I mean, you're pretty much living paycheck-to-paycheck and I'm pretty sure the salary isn't that great where you work, so the things you're wanting to do here just seem a little unrealistic to me. Like I said, please don't misunderstand me, I'm not dogging on you....while anything's possible if you really set your mind to it, I'm just thinking that maybe there's a more-realistic way to achieve your goal.

If you're really dead-set on starting a project, I'd highly suggest buying a running truck and just fixing that up, instead of trying to drive one beater (and do all the maintenance, upkeep, gas, insurance, etc) while fixing up another. The plans you outlined above involve buying several trucks, and that while it would be nice, it's probably not the most cost-effective way of doing it for someone with a very limited income. Keep your econo-box as a daily driver, and then just put the project truck out back and work on it as you have the time and funds.

As always, that's just my :2cents: ...take it for what it's worth. I'd just hate to see you get in over your head. Good luck! :thup:
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: ok this is more of a planning commitee.

Post by layedout72 »

rjewkes wrote:While i still don't have my next bumpside yet a thought I have alweays had was...

5. then build a 390 or 410-411 with a good FE C6 to go behind it or even a later model Overdrive.

8.Pull bed and cab and fenders Work everything the way Keith has to get this thing to last another 30+ years.

9. Once all the repair work to the sheet metal and painting is done bolt down the sheet metal and install wiring and customizations get truck back on road.

ive got a good 302 3 speed truck that may do you well for a driver.....maybe not a DAILY but, a driver for sure.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: ok this is more of a planning commitee.

Post by flyboy2610 »

layedout72 wrote:
rjewkes wrote:While i still don't have my next bumpside yet a thought I have alweays had was...

ive got a good 302 3 speed truck that may do you well for a driver.....maybe not a DAILY but, a driver for sure.
There ya' go! :wink:
I know that while I was trying to get Frankie, my '68 F100, back to running condition, at times it got very discouraging. Then I found a good running truck, and am going to do what Keith said: Fix up the truck as I can.
I'm stripping the '68 and planning to sell off the parts.
I think you'd spend all your spare cash just keping the beater going that there would be nothing left for the resto truck.
Good luck. If I come across a decent running truck at a a good price, I'll let you know.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Red Green

If you're going to live like there's no hell...............
you'd better be right.
http://theworldasiseeit-flyboy2610.blog ... ee-it.html
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

Thanks all.

Yeah i think i forgot to mention this would probably take me a couple of years to do The bird (that gets about 15 around town)Would be my daily.

Buying two trucks would be for the reason of parts and selling off any spare parts that could be semi easy to get again when needed.

And that solves insurance and trying to run a beater while fixing a restomod up.

Keith i realy Apreciate your lookin' out for me and everyone else on the site.:thup:
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com