New Radio and Speaker install

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

New Radio and Speaker install

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

We installed my son's new Alpine CDE9842, single disc radio. Its rated at 200watts and 2-Pioneer TS-G1641R's, 6-1/2"front speakers rated at 160 watts each. The existing rear speakers are four-4", rated at 50 watts each. We installed the Radio in the headliner mount and mounted the speakers under the dash. As any one who has put speakers in our trucks know, we are very limited to were you can mount them with out cutting holes in the doors. This idea works good and sounds great. Sitting in the truck you can barely see them even if you are looking for them. We put one bolt thru the under dash lip in holes that were already there and used heavy perforated strap to support the back side. This is the best we could come up with. What do you think of this front speaker idea?
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: New Radio and Speaker install

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

More pics
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

Well, it would be my opinion that those will sound pretty awful. Speakers without enclosures just don't move air.

I'd cut the doors in a heartbeat. Original appearance is fine and dandy, but good music is mandatory.

fn
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Fake name, I asked that same question when I purchased the speakers for this radio. I bought them at the same time. He told me as long as I only had a total of 200 watts it would be no problem with them not enclosed. He told me the encloser was for the big amps with big amp bass speakers and we didnt have those. This does sound good like it is. It will go all the way up with out distortion which is way to high for me.
Fake Name

Post by Fake Name »

I'm glad it works for you- it WILL sound better much better with some sort of enclosure. And the salesman was flat-out fibbing. Enclusures are not just for big-watt subwoofers. I should claify that by enclosure, I also mean doors.

Any way you look at it, if it works for you, that's what counts.

fn

but..I'd cut the doors....mine sounds terrific!
1970 F250
2011 KTM 990 ADV
2003 KTM 525EXC
mytmatt
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by mytmatt »

Radio install looks good Charles, but that F600 dash really catches my eye. Gotta get me one of those...
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

Thanks Matt, I just got a " Had to do something to it feeling" :lol:
My son has never mentioned putting the new radio and speakers in it he got for his B-day so we just did it. Still waiting until tomorrow for the new starter. With him and Trey taking the header bolts out and starter bolts out already, this one is going to be easy for me. :D I,ll keep my eyes open for a F600 dash for you. I just sold a good chrome one. Wish I,d known you wanted it. Oh now that I,m thinking of it get some anti-seeze for your header bolts when you install them.